Thursday, August 1, 2013

Double Ugh.

As discovered a week ago, my roof is leaking.


For townhouses, home insurance policies typically cover drywall to drywall. Homeowner associations are usually responsible for exteriors and roofs.

The gray area is where failure to the exterior causes damage to the interior. I'm not sure who's responsible, but apparently it's me.

This was a perfect opportunity to call the ever-helpful HOA. They said they have a handyman on retainer. He's on vacation til, "We're not sure when." There were a bunch of other things said that aren't really worth saying.

The final chapter of this story has yet to be written.

A different story has been written, though. Titled, "Jeremy's a Sucker". Authored by PNC Bank, it's currently in first edition.

A couple months ago, we randomly ran into a couple friends at a beer festival. After some fun times in the sun, we went to a local restaurant. The two friends joined our group and ordered food. A few minutes later, they realized they had had too much to drink, so they quickly got up and left.

Not before asking if I would cover the $10 chicken salad they ordered.

The check was about $70. I tipped and signed, ultimately leaving both the customer copy ($70) and the signed merchant copy ($83) in the little black book.

A couple days later, I noticed PNC debited both $70 and $83 for the restaurant. As I would later learn, most restaurants will accumulate a stack of all credit card receipts, then run them through at the end of the night.

I admit there is some onus on me to remove the customer copy from the little black book, but it's probably also on the restaurant to filter these buggers out before running everything through. Assuming they need to look for signatures and tip amounts.

But whatever. A mistake's a mistake. Not intentional, I'm sure. So I called PNC, then I called the restaurant. PNC issued a temporary credit for $70, which was great. The restaurant said it was fine to just have PNC pull the lower charge back.

PNC then sent me a dispute letter, which I needed to fill out to make my claim. This was sent back, but apparently not enough to make my case. Provisional credit reversed, and I ultimately pay twice as much for a drunk friend's chicken salad that someone else ate.

I hope their hangover lasted twice as long, too.

: )

No comments:

Post a Comment